Many of you are sending out e-newsletters to your customers and prospects. Here are 3 things you’ll want to do before sending out the newsletter:
- always comply with the CanSpam Act
- provide enough content (not all self-serving)
- send a copy to yourself first
1. The CanSpam Act was passed by Congress in 2003. It contains rules for sending commercial electronic messages. This is not a joke – the fines for non-compliance are large.
2. Make sure to include beneficial information to your recipients, not just self-promoting advertisements. Ensure their interest and raise the likelihood that they will come to see you as a proven trusted source.
3. Always send a copy of the newsletter to yourself first before sending to your recipients. What looks good on your laptop may not look the same on other devices. Fonts, type sizes, and colors may not translate well to mobile devices. Review the e-mail on your cell phone and tablet, checking that there are no mistakes, the links work, and to make sure it looks good. Don’t discount the visual appeal of your content.
Sending out a newsletter is effectively branding your company and yourself. Make sure the brand reflects the professional image you want to display.